The Fat Lady Sang And It Was A Lullabye

I'll never forget my first "Bass Master Classic".  1973, Paragould, AR angler Rayo Breckenridge won it.    I didn't out until almost 6 months later because that's just the way it was then.  We didn't have live, on the water coverage like today.  We didn't get to watch anything but highlights for years when TNN put the BASSMASTER TV program.

So fast forward 50 years and the fans of the sport have not only the Bassmaster Classic by the far superior Major League Fishing format.  That's what happens when you try to rest on your laurels though, you get passed by.  Extincted like the dodo.  But I'm not here to bury it, not praise it, to coin a phrase.

Any honest viewer is obliged to admit it was less than a stellar show.  In fact, it was amateur.  A high school production would have been better.  Asking "Dad" if we could use the barn to put on a show, Frank writing the script and Nancy sew the costumes would have been far better entertainment.

But, if we're in a mood for getting things off our collective chests, we would also have to say there has been nothing except a dilution of talent going on for the last 20 years.  There aren't 180 to 200 high performaning pros on the scene.  I doubt we could really scratch out 50.  Just like the lottery, all it takes is a dollar and a dream.

50 years ago, I could tell you about Rayo Breckinridge.  Couldn't tell you who won the Classic.  I could tell you he's Canadian though.  This isn't remembering the names of Presidents.  This is important, damn it!

I'm not done.  I haven't even started!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog